Guru Poornima 2026
Guru Poornima 2026
This is a very special and auspicious occasion for anyone who has been fortunate to have a teacher in their life. Is there anyone who has not had a teacher? Formal or informal?
Most of us have a mother or a father who gave us the first lessons of our lives. Those of us who have been fortunate to attend school and higher education successively met teachers with higher qualifications. Those of us who were impressed by people with specific knowledge, experience or qualities took valuable lessons from them simply by observing them or talking to them and asking questions. Some of us learned from books and teachings of wise people. Some simply from life’s lessons.
In recent days there had been some significant events that created in my mind a sense of uncertainty and uneasiness about the future of my homeland. It prompted me to write an open letter to the prime minister of the country voicing aloud the concerns I feel within myself about his performance and how he is being perceived by many. My address to him was not unilaterally critical. I did not hold back my honest appreciation of his good work while being candid about what I feel are his missed opportunities.
Yet, it makes me take a second look at myself today on occasion of Guru Poornima.
A leader. A parent. An elder. A boss.
A teacher.
These are people who are expected to be role models. They are expected to be perfect by those they show the way. They are at every moment held to the high or even higher standards than they hold us to.
And when they don’t meet those expectations or standards or so we perceive ….
How do we respond? Do we even respond?
Or do we react? Do we pretend to not see? Do we revolt? Do we resent? Do we offer resistance? Do we disown? Do we grieve? Do we feel shame and embarrassment? Do we feel lost, cheated ordisillusioned?
Truth is we have more often than not never looked at them as human. Never given them the option to make mistakes. Never given ourselves the option to be forgiving of them. Never switched roles alternately becoming the vision for their blind spots. Never allowed them to be like we are. Never scolded them behind doors but protected them in public. Never showed them understanding when they most needed it from someone.
They are to be judged by us. Every moment. Every opportunity. For every action. And not just that, their every single mistake is to be remembered and reminded to them for as long as we live. We are entitled to do all this. It has been recognized as our birth right!
Because we are their bosses! We own them. Or so we always believed and behaved!
I don’t know the right answer.
I know this much that they never have it easier than us. They never have the privilege to escape our judgment. And we are never capable of understanding them completely. Nor are we ever going to be able to know their full worth. Or value everything they have done for us.
The least we can do is acknowledge this much.
To all the gurus and elders who guided me through times when I needed, I never could be worth your affection and protection. With the grace that you always have, please let forgiveness be on me for all my shortcomings and errors.
There is a reason why you stand where you are and I am where I am. Which is at your feet. I do not wish to be anywhere else . ππΌππΌ

Comments
Post a Comment